Current contest
Scheduled contests
Past contests
Rules
back to board

Discussion of Problem 1177. Like Comparisons

new tests: AC to WA
Posted by Scythe (Berinde Radu) 5 Aug 2004 00:37
Hi. I got AC at this problem before, but now I guess they added some more tests and i get WA. I tested the program with the testcases on this forum and it works fine.

The masks in the example and tests don't really go with the text of the problem. The text lists some special strings in masks, but says nothing about combining them (so for example [a-zA-z] shouldn't even be a special string in a mask from the problem text). It is therefore clear that the problem statement should be more specific about how we should handle special masks. In spite of this, you specifically add different combinations to the tests, combinations we need to learn how to handle by doing lots and lots of submissions. Examples of unclear masks are '[ab]c]', '[^-z]', '[a-zZ]'. The last one '[a-zZ]' by following the statement to the letter should be interpreted: any of the 'a', '-', 'z' or 'Z' characters.

I will never understand why do you think that a simple problem suddenly becomes interesting when 90% of the submissions are WA.
No new tests were added (+)
Posted by Vladimir Yakovlev (USU) 5 Aug 2004 12:34
Some hints for you:
 • There are no tests like '[b-a]' and '[^]', they are incorrect
 • Special characters '[', '%' and '_' mean themselves when included in brackets. That is:

'[' like '[[]' => YES
'%' like '[%]' => YES
'_' like '[_]' => YES

but:

']' like ']' => YES
'^' like '^' => YES

Edited by author 05.08.2004 12:34
Re: No new tests were added (+)
Posted by Scythe (Berinde Radu) 5 Aug 2004 15:09
My program works on these tests. Thank you anyway. But if no new tests were added, how come my program that once had AC now gets WA? Maybe there is a bug in my program that only came out with the new complier (it is a new compiler right?)... case in which I apologize.
Re: No new tests were added (+)
Posted by Scythe (Berinde Radu) 5 Aug 2004 15:25
Sorry, my bad. I fixed it now.